Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Traveling this Weekend

Tomorrow I'm heading out with a group from my school for a three-day trip in southeast Yemen. We're visiting the cities Ibb, Jiblah, Ta'izz (the old capital of the imamate), al-Khoukha (with swimming in the Red Sea), al-Makha (you can thank this city for the coffee you drink, though nowadays its only contribution to the coffee trade is the Anglicization of its name: Mocha) and Zabid. I'll do my best to write a post or two tonight, but there's a very real chance we'll lose power. If that's the case, look out for posts and pictures about my trip Saturday afternoon.
Right now I have to go buy some qat for the 4-hour busride (and that's assuming we make good time - paved roads here are rarer than foreigners) and a mowaz or two - they're essentially man-skirts. The weather in the south this time of year is around 115 degrees and it's very, very humid... Bluejeans aren't gonna cut it this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment